This Event Has Passed, But..
San Diego, CA 92101
Buddhist Temple of San Diego Obon Festival outdoor festivities begin with music, cultural displays, food sales. Family and community are invited to celebrate OBON, the Buddhist holiday dedicated to expressing joy and gratitude for the gifts of life, heritage, and those we have taken for granted or forgotten. We dance out of sheer gratitude for the contributions of people who made possible life as we know it. Japanese food, snacks, gifts, books; a drawing to benefit the temples youth; and a rousing taiko performances. The unique OBON AGAIN RESALE SHOP offers new and vintage Japanese clothing, ceramics, gifts wares. Free, public welcome.
Scheduling Tips for the Day (2 Places To Go)
1) First go to the Japanese Friendship Garden and enjoy the music and cultural displays and food. Remember there is an entrance fee to get in. After 4 pm the top level of the garden is free.
2) After you are done, walk next door to the Japanese Garden. Dancing will begin at 6:00 pm at Spreckels Organ Pavillion next to the garden and is free. The Pavilion will be decorated with paper lanterns crafted in the memory of those who have gone before. This is free.
We dance in gratitude for the gifts those who have gone before have given us. Each of us is who we are because of those gifts.
Locations for this Event (They are next to each other)
1) Japanese Friendship Garden: Food, music and festivities. Entrance Fee.
2) Spreckles Organ Pavilion: Bon Odori dance. Free entry.
San Diego Obon Date
Saturday August 3, 2019
11:00 am - 5:00 pm: Japanese Friendship Garden Outdoor Festival. Entrance Fee.
06:00 pm: Bon Odori Dancing at Spreckels Organ Pavilion (Next to Japanese Friendship Garden)
Don't Miss this on Friday
2019 Toro Nagashi (Floating Lanterns Down a Stream) (Friday)
See all Bon Odori Practices Dates at Buddhist Temple
The practices will be held inside Temple's Annex Hall.
Days: Thursday and Sundays
Location: Bon Odori Dance practice will be at Buddhist Temple of San Diego
Locations - San Diego, CA
1) Buddhist Temple of San Diego, (Practice) 2929 Market Street, San Diego, CA 92102.
2) Japanese Friendship Garden, (Festival) 2215 Pan American Rd E, San Diego, CA 92101
3) Spreckels Organ Pavilion, (Dancing) 1549 El Prado Ste 10, San Diego, CA 92101.
Note: Japanese Friendship Garden & Spreckels Organ Pavillion are next to each other.
See Obon Bon Odori Festival Video
San Diego Obon Festival Dates
San Diego Obon San Diego Practices Dates
Obon Festivals & Practices
All Obon Festivals All Obon Practices
See Japanese Event Festivals
All Japanese Festivals Events
Map of Japanese Festivals
See Map Japanese Festivals
Celebrate the Japanese Culture food, performances and dancing.
(Please always confirm date & times, the schedule could change)
Obon Bon Odori Festival Title
Buddhist Temple of San Diego Obon Festival & Odori - Music, Cultural Displays, Japanese Food, Snacks, Gifts, etc. (Sat Only) [Video] 2 Locations
Saturday, 1 August, 2020
Event/Festival ContactBuddhist Temple of San Diego Obon
Phone: (619) 239-0896
Website: Click to Visit
Save Event & FestivalsiCalendar
Windows Live Calendar