Nisei Week at JANM Location is One Event During Nisei Week. To See All Nisei Week Events Click Below.
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Visit Location Website
Join us for our 2024 Natsumatsuri Family Festival, an annual summer celebration featuring free cultural performances, crafts, and activities for families and kids of all ages!
• Performances by TAIKOPROJECT and Yu-ki Project
• Interactive storytimes
• Souvenir photos by Cre8tive Outlets
• Fun summer-themed crafts and origami
• Scavenger hunt for prizes
• Free admission all day to see our exhibitions
…and so much more
August 10, 2024, Saturday
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
FREE ALL DAY
This event is free, but RSVPs are requested. Those who RSVP and show their ticket at the JANM membership table at the Natsumatsuri Family Festival will be entered into a drawing for a one-year JANM family/dual level membership.
• 11:30 am - 12:15 pm: TAIKOPROJECT Performance (Taiko drummers hit drums in front of the crowd)
• 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm: Anzu the Great Listener Book Reading (Anzu the Great Listener book reading by Disney Animator Benson Shum)
• 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm: Obon Lecture and Community Dance (Learn about Japan's obon festivals and participate in a group bon odori)
• 1:45 pm - 2:15 pm: Kendo Demonstration (Learn about kendo with a demonstration by Sho Tokyo Kendo Dojo)
• 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm: Los Angeles Public Library Storytime (A fun storytime session by friends from the Los Angeles Public Library)
• 2:30 pm - 3:15 pm: Cold Tofu Improv and Comedy Group Performance (Enjoy a performance by the Cold Tofu Improv and Comedy Group)
• 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Printmaking Workshop with David Horvitz (A printmaking workshop on JANM's plaza with artist David Horvitz)
• 3:15 pm - 3:45 pm: Taiko Workshop (Learn basic taiko drumming with JANM Volunteer Hal Keimi)
• 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm: Anzu the Great Listener Book Reading (Another session of reading by Disney Animator Benson Shum)
•4:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Performance by Yu-ki Project (Enjoy shamisen jazz music with Yu Ooka and Kimo Cornwell)
Activities throughout the event
• Photo Booth: Families can take souvenir photos with fun props from Cre8tive Outlets.
• Paper Hats: Two girls can decorate hats to stay cool and stylish in the summer.
• Scavenger Hunt: Boys can participate in a scavenger hunt in JANM's current exhibitions to win a prize.
• Los Angeles Public Library Table: Visitors can sign up for a library card and enjoy fun crafts perfect for kids.
• Patches Craft: Participants can make summer-themed patches to showcase their style.
• Ruthie's Origami Corner: Learn to fold a jumping frog or a yukata (summer kimono) in honor of JANM Volunteer Ruthie Kitagawa.
Please note that reserved seating for some activities is available for Members. The Anzu the Great Listener book reading has two sessions, and the Printmaking Workshop is in collaboration with Printed Matter's LA Art Book Fair with more details available at pmabf.org.
See Nisei Week Festival Events: See Nisei Week Tips Page
Natsumatsuri is held in conjunction with Nisei Week Festival, Little Tokyo's biggest annual event. Make your plans early!
About the Japanese American National Museum (JANM)
Established in 1985, JANM promotes understanding and appreciation of America’s ethnic and cultural diversity by sharing the Japanese American experience. Located in the historic Little Tokyo district of downtown Los Angeles, JANM is a hybrid institution that straddles traditional museum categories and strives to provide a voice for Japanese Americans as well as a forum that enables all people to explore their own heritage and culture. Since opening to the public in 1992, JANM has presented over 70 exhibitions onsite while traveling 17 exhibits to venues such as the Smithsonian Institution and the Ellis Island Museum in the United States, and to several leading cultural museums in Japan and South America. JANM is open on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday-Sunday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and on Thursday from 12 p.m.-8 p.m. JANM is free every third Thursday of the month. On all other Thursdays, JANM is free from 5 p.m.-8 p.m. For more information, visit janm.org or follow us on social media @jamuseum.
Japanese American National Museum (janm.org), 100 N. Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012
2023 JANM Annual Natsumatsuri Family Festival Event Summer Celebration (Bon Odori, Life Performers, Hula, Tea Ceremony, Taiko, Crafts, Origami..)
Disclaimer: Please double check all information provided on our platform with the official website for complete accuracy and up-to-date details.
Saturday, 10 August, 2024
Event & Festival ContactJANM Natsumatsuri Family Festival Event
Phone: (213) 625-0414
Event Organizer Website
Visit Organizer Website
Get More Details From the Event Organizer
Event Location Website
Visit Location Website
For More Location Details
Share Event & Festivals
Event Information Can ChangeAlways verify event information for possible changes or mistakes.
Contact Us for Errors
Add Event To Your CalendariCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses