- Sunday, 31 December, 2023 2023 December Nights (Sipping Hot Chocolate or Sake, Crafting a Japanese Ornament, Holiday Lights & Decorations, Local Vendors..)
This Event Has Passed
Other Events At This LocationBalboa Park Japanese Friendship Garden, San Diego (Main)
San Diego, CA 92101
Visit Location Website
Celebrate Shichi-Go-San at JFG, where children will have the opportunity to be dressed in traditional kimonos and photographed in our beautiful garden! Traditionally in Japan, girls (ages three and seven) and boys (age five) are dressed in traditional kimonos and brought to the nearby shrines in order to pray for good health. Registration is required and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Shichi-Go-San, a traditional Japanese celebration, has its roots in centuries-old customs. The name translates to "Seven-Five-Three" in English and marks a significant rite of passage for children at the ages of 3, 5, and 7. Historically, these milestones were seen as critical stages in a child's growth and development, and dressing them in elaborate kimonos for the occasion symbolized protection and well-being. Families would often visit Shinto shrines to offer prayers for the children's health and future prosperity. Over time, Shichi-Go-San has evolved into a cherished cultural tradition, maintaining its significance while adapting to modern customs, with families continuing to celebrate this special day with reverence and joy.
Nov 4 - 5, 2023
9 am - 3 pm
Fee per child getting a photoshoot: $180 JFGM Members; $200 Non-members (does not include the kimono rental fee)
* Please note participants are required to register for an appointment slot.
** Photographers will provide 15 minimum selected & post processed photos.
*** For Kimono rental arrangements please contact Yuko Niwa ([email protected])
• 10% for siblings (must be purchased at the same time)
• Your child (family) will have approximately an hour to change, dress up and photograph. Activities and refreshments are available after shoot.
• Fee include admission, photo shoot, photographer and photos, and refreshments in the Garden. (Kimono rental is not included. Contact Yuko Niwa directly for rates and fees.)
• CANCELLATIONS within 7 days of appointment will not be refunded. Please note that an admin fee of $15 will apply to all refunds.
• Payments must be completed with registration. Day of payments will not be accepted.
• Free public parking is available in Balboa Park. It is still recommended to arrive 45 minutes before your scheduled time slot.
• Come wearing a V-neck T-shirt, shorts or leggings. Shichigosan kimono and juban will be put on top of your T-shirt.
• All kimono rentals will be handled by Yuko Niwa ([email protected]).
JFG Safety Policies
View all of JFG’s safety policies during public hours by clicking here. JFG encourages everyone to educate themselves and follow the garden etiquette so everyone may have a safe and enjoyable experience.
Additional policies for Shichi Go San are:
• Registrants will be dressed one at a time, inside our activity center in the upper garden.
• Guests that are not immediate family of Shichi Go San registrants must pay JFG admission.
Disclaimer: Please double check all information provided on our platform with the official website for complete accuracy and up-to-date details.
Sunday, 5 November, 2023
Event & Festival ContactShichi-Go-San - San Diego Japanese Garden
Event Organizer Website
Visit Organizer Website
Get More Details From the Event Organizer
Event Location Website
Visit Location Website
For More Location Details
Share Event & Festivals
Event Information Can ChangeAlways verify event information for possible changes or mistakes.
Contact Us for Errors
Add Event To Your CalendariCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses