- Friday, 7 October, 2022 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Friday, 4 November, 2022 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Friday, 2 December, 2022 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Friday, 6 January, 2023 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Friday, 3 February, 2023 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Friday, 3 March, 2023 2022 Artist Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston View All Dates
This Event Has Passed, But..
See Other Events at this LocationMuseum of Fine Artsm Houston (MFAH)
Houston, TX 77005
Phone: (713) 639-7300
Website: Visit Website
For Map Directions: Click Orange Icon
Yayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity - Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, first floor
Yayoi Kusama (Japanese, born 1929) was living in New York when she created her first Infinity Room in 1965. Engaging the viewer directly, through reflections that project into an infinite distance, these installations combine aspects of Minimalism’s clean use of industrial materials with ritual and performance. Kusama returned to Japan in 1970, and subsequent works became increasingly personal. She marked her 80th birthday with Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity, which references the annual Buddhist Tōrō nagashi (Water Lantern) ceremony honoring one’s ancestors.
When you visit this installation, you are invited to step into the room and stand on the central platform. Over time, a delicate, shimmering mirage unfolds, as lights ignite and are mirrored on every surface. In less than a minute, however, all light disappears and then the cycle starts anew.
“In the human world, what arouses our body and feeling of vitality is Eternity. I have been living in this Eternity, where enormous love for humanity passes through and the vast brilliance of life is infinitely reflected. . . . We keep flashing, disappearing, and again blossoming out in this Eternity - Yayoi Kusama.
Helpful Information for Your Visit
Access to this experience is available on a first-come, first-served basis, and advance reservations are not available. Groups of 10 or more are allowed with prior arrangements (see FAQs below for details).
About Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity
• This room-size installation is an immersive work of art that may be enjoyed by up to three individuals at a time. Given the limited capacity, time slots may fill up early and be considered sold out for the day.
• The installation consists of a mirror-lined chamber with LED lights that cycle on and off, and a moment of total darkness when a door closes behind you. Guests with sensitivity to enclosed spaces should be advised to bypass this experience.
How to Experience Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity
1) Obtain a general admission or special exhibition ticket to the Museum.
2) On the day of your visit, go to the installation, located in Gallery 100 on the first floor of the Kinder Building, and check in with a guest services ambassador.
3) If there is a line to enter, you will receive a timed ticket for later that same day, based on availability. We recommend that you check entry availability for Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity early during your visit, in case of high demand, and then enjoy exploring the rest of the Museum afterward.
4) If you receive a timed ticket for later that day, be sure to return at your designated time. All members of your party must be present for entry. Because of the timed nature of this experience, if you miss your assigned time slot, you will need to obtain another ticket for a later time that day, based on availability.
Once I enter, what can I expect?
Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity accommodates one to three individuals for about one minute. An MFAH ambassador will brief you on where to go and what to do, and will alert you when it is time to exit the room.
Can I enter multiple times?
Because of the intimate nature of the installation, and to accommodate as many guests as possible, we are not able to permit multiple visits into the room on high-demand days and when timed tickets are required.
Are children allowed? What if I have more than two children in my group?
Children are welcome to enjoy this experience under the close supervision of one adult for every two children. If there are more than two children in your party, please be sure that any children waiting for their turn are supervised by another adult in your party.
Are groups allowed?
Groups of 10 or more may arrange for access on specific days and times. Reservations are needed at least two weeks in advance: Contact the group sales office at 713.639.7878 or [email protected] for details. Admission costs apply.
Is the installation wheelchair accessible?
Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity can fit a wheelchair up to 24 inches wide. Please note that guests in wider or motorized wheelchairs and vehicles may view the work of art from the ramp, but cannot enter because of space and weight limitations.
Are strollers permitted?
Single strollers are permitted, but large and double strollers will not fit.
How long will the Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity be on view?
This Infinity Room is part of the MFAH art collections. No end date for the installation has been set, and we are thrilled to share it with guests.
Hours of Operation and Prices
Yayoi Kusuma Exhibit Room - Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity
Thursday, 22 September, 2022
See All Dates For This Event
- Friday, 7 October, 2022
- Friday, 4 November, 2022
- Friday, 2 December, 2022
- Friday, 6 January, 2023
- Friday, 3 February, 2023
Event & Festival ContactYayoi Kusama Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity
Phone: (713) 639-7300
Event Organizer WebsiteWebsite: Visit Website
For More Details From Event Organizers
Event Location WebsiteVisit Website
For More Details on Location of Event
Save Event & FestivalsiCalendar
Windows Live Calendar