San Mateo, CA 94401
From early 1900 to 1910, the religious needs of the Buddhists in the San Mateo area were filled by dedicated leaders in the community. With the growth of the Japanese group in San Mateo, Belmont, and San Carlos areas, a decision was made to establish a branch of the San Francisco Buddhist Church in San Mateo. On February 20, 1910, an inaugural ceremony was held. This Temple thereafter served the Buddhist Sangha of the San Mateo area by conducting services at various local residences and in rented halls.
In June 1939, it was decided to purchase land and to launch construction of a meeting place. The present land was purchased in 1940 and construction plans were started. However, with the outbreak of the war in 1941, all plans had to be suspended.
In the fall of 1945, as families returned to the San Mateo area from the relocation camps, the dedicated leaders organized the holding of services in a rented hall. Ministers from San Francisco were invited to conduct the services.
The San Mateo Buddhist Temple officially became an independent Temple on November 7, 1951. On February 15, 1952, the construction of the present social hall was completed and provided the first permanent home for the San Mateo Buddhist Temple.
Phone: (650) 342-2541
Website: Click to Visit
There are no current events. Click here to submit events.