Minneapolis, MN 55404
The Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA) is an art museum in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in the United States. It is one of the largest and most comprehensive art museums in the United States, with a collection of over 89,000 works of art spanning more than 5,000 years. The museum's collection includes works from all over the world, but it is particularly strong in its collections of European, American, and Asian art.
The MIA's collection of Japanese art is one of the finest in the world. It includes over 5,000 objects, ranging from ancient ceramics and bronzes to modern paintings and prints. The collection is particularly strong in its holdings of Japanese paintings, prints, and textiles.
Some of the highlights of the MIA's Japanese art collection include:
• A folding screen by Kano Eitoku (1543-1590), one of the most important painters in Japanese history.
• A set of woodblock prints by Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849), one of the most famous Japanese artists.
• A textile by Shibori (tie-dye) technique, a traditional Japanese textile-dyeing technique.
• A tea ceremony set, a traditional Japanese ritual.
The MIA's Japanese art collection is on permanent display in the museum's Asian galleries. The galleries are open to the public from 10:00am to 5:00pm, Tuesday through Sunday.
In addition to its permanent collection, the MIA also hosts a variety of special exhibitions of Japanese art. Recent exhibitions have included:
• The Audacious Eye: Japanese Art from the Clark Collections (2013-2014)
• Dressed by Nature: Textiles of Japan (2017-2018)
• Azechi Umetarō: Call of the Mountains (2023)
The Minneapolis Institute of Art is a great place to learn about Japanese art and culture. Its collection is one of the finest in the world, and its special exhibitions offer a unique opportunity to see Japanese art from different periods and genres.
ContactPhone: (612) 456-9840
Click to Visit
(For Event Infomation See Event Website Page)
There Are No Current Japanese Events
Click to Submit Japanese Events.
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses
Japanese Museum Art
Japanese Museums Map of Japanese Museums