- Monday, 18 December, 2023 2023 Aki's Market (Explore Trauma of Japanese Americans During WWII Incarceration Thru a Virtual Reality Recreation of Grandfathers Market)
- Thursday, 18 January, 2024 2023 Aki's Market (Explore Trauma of Japanese Americans During WWII Incarceration Thru a Virtual Reality Recreation of Grandfathers Market)
- Sunday, 17 December, 2023 2023 Our Shared Future Family Day at JANM (Experience a Day of Free Admission and Diverse Cultural Activities for All Ages)
- Sunday, 7 January, 2024 2024 Oshogatsu Family Festival Event: Year of the Dragon (Cultural Performances, Crafts, & Activities for Families/Kids) New Years Event - FREE EVENT
- Thursday, 21 December, 2023 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm
- Thursday, 18 January, 2024 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm View All Events At Location
This Event Has Passed
Other Events At This LocationJapanese American National Museum (JANM), Los Angeles, Little Tokyo
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Visit Location Website
Join Edgar Award-winning author, Naomi Hirahara, for a dive into the history of Little Tokyo through her newest book, Evergreen. Evergreen, the follow-up to the Mary Higgins Clark Award-winning Clark and Division, is the story of a Japanese American nurse’s aide who navigates the dangers of post-World War II and post-Manzanar life as she attempts to find justice for a broken family. Hirahara’s presentation will include photographs from 1946 Little Tokyo, Boyle Heights, and Burbank trailer parks. This event will include an optional self-guided tour of Little Tokyo landmarks featured in the book.
Event image credit: Japanese American children in temporary post-war housing. Courtesy of the Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections.
About the JANM Book Club
The JANM Book Club is a series of Public Programs that highlight new publications by Japanese Americans or related to Japanese American history and culture.
Sept 9, 2023
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
About the Book
It’s been two years since Aki Ito and her family were released from Manzanar concentration camp and resettled in Chicago with other Japanese Americans. Now the Itos have finally been allowed to return home to California-but nothing is as they left it. The entire Japanese American community is starting from scratch, with thousands of people living in dismal refugee camps while they struggle to find new houses and jobs in over-crowded Los Angeles.
Aki is working as a nurse’s aide at the Japanese Hospital in Boyle Heights when an elderly Issei man is admitted with suspicious injuries. When she seeks out his son, she is shocked to recognize her husband’s best friend, Babe Watanabe. Could Babe be guilty of elder abuse?
Only a few days later, Little Tokyo is rocked by a murder at the low-income hotel where the Watanabes have been staying. When the cops start sniffing around Aki’s home, she begins to worry that the violence tearing through her community might threaten her family. What secrets have the Watanabes been hiding, and can Aki protect her husband from getting tangled up in a murder investigation?
Disclaimer: Please double check all information provided on our platform with the official website for complete accuracy and up-to-date details.
Saturday, 9 September, 2023
Event & Festival ContactJANM Book Club: Evergreen with Naomi Hirahara
Event Organizer Website
Visit Organizer Website
Get More Details From the Event Organizer
Event Location Website
Visit Location Website
For More Location Details
Share Event & Festivals
Event Information Can ChangeAlways verify event information for possible changes or mistakes.
Contact Us for Errors
Add Event To Your CalendariCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses