This Event Has Passed
Other Events At This LocationLakeside Park Garden Center & Show Gardens - Japanese Garden (Lake Merritt Japanese Garden)
Oakland, CA 94610-5000
Visit Location Website
We hold our annual Otsukimi moon-viewing party on the Sunday closest to the full harvest moon each October, held at the Gardens at Lake Merritt. We have been holding these parties, which feature traditional Japanese entertainment, authentic Obento dinners, and astronomers with powerful telescopes, since 1965.
The harvest moon is a symbol of blessing and abundance for many cultures, including Japan. Similar to tea parties, the moon viewing parties are occasions for for sharing food and stories, while enjoying what is considered the most beautiful moon of the year.
October 22, 2023, Sunday
Optional bento dinners (regular or vegetarian) are available for pre-order - deadline of October 16, 2023.
Free / Open to the Public
$5 all day parking on the weekend and holidays
2023 Event Schedule
5:30 pm - Bonsai Garden & Bento Dinner*
• Open House by the Golden State Bonsai Collection North, 5:30-6:30pm
• Japanese “Bento” box dinners (sushi & skewered meats/fish) created by Musashi of Berkeley. *Vegetarian Bento available upon request.
• Come see our beautiful mosaic mural installed in 2022 in honor of our 60th anniversary, Japanese stone lanterns dedicated in honor of our 50th anniversary in 2012, and the magnificent Torii Gate (dedicated in the Memory of the late Oakland Council Member Frank Ogawa 1917-1994) in honor of our 40th anniversary in 2002.
6:30pm - Entertainment
• Diablo Taiko (Japanese drums)
• Performances by the student ambassadors from the 2023 Summer High School Exchange Program
• Las Lomas High School Japanese language class
7:30pm - Moon Viewing
• Telescopic Viewing of the Moon and other celestial points of interest provided by the Eastbay Astronomical Society
About Oakland-Fukuoka Sister City Association (OFSCA)
Oakland's Oldest Sister City Relationship, Since 1962
Celebrating our 60th Anniversary in 2022!
The sister city program between Fukuoka and Oakland began with President Dwight Eisenhower’s "people-to-people" program, which made the pairing of American communities with those abroad a national priority. Because of the many similarities between the two cities, the Oakland City Council adopted a resolution in 1962 making Fukuoka its official Sister City.
The Oakland Fukuoka Sister City Association helps to foster and promote cultural awareness, understanding, and friendship between the people and cities of Oakland and Fukuoka. We believe that this collaboration will strengthen us as individuals, strengthen our cities, our regional communities and our Sister City organization, which will ultimately enhance international understanding and harmony between cities and nations.
Lakeside Park Garden Center, Bellevue Avenue, Oakland CA
Disclaimer: Please double check all information provided on our platform with the official website for complete accuracy and up-to-date details.
Sunday, 22 October, 2023
Event & Festival ContactOtsukimi Moon Viewing Party-Lakeside
Event Organizer Website
Visit Organizer Website
Get More Details From the Event Organizer
Event Location Website
Visit Location Website
For More Location Details
Share Event & Festivals
Event Information Can ChangeAlways verify event information for possible changes or mistakes.
Contact Us for Errors
Add Event To Your CalendariCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses