Salinas, CA 93901
For Map Directions: Click Orange Icon
To serve the members of the temple and the Salinas community by practicing the Jodo Shinshu principles.
On March 9, 1924, the first step was taken to officially organize the Buddhist Church of Salinas. (Later renamed Buddhist Temple of Salinas) a group of Issei (1st Generation) men held a meeting at a temporary church located on 36 Sausal Street (later renamed Market Street).
On October 12, 1924, the officers of the Church acquired three lots on 14 California Street as the permanent site for the Buddhist Temple. Construction of the original Temple began in January 1926 and it was completed in the late spring of the same year; on the 5th anniversary of the Temple, construction of the Multipurpose Hall was completed.
During the height of the depression in 1937, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Church, the bell tower was built to house the largest bell (Bonsho) of its kind, imported from Japan. In 1976, the 50th anniversary, the current Temple building was constructed and in 1995, the 70th anniversary, the current Multipurpose Hall was constructed.
ContactPhone: (831) 424-4105
Location WebsiteWebsite: Click to Visit
(For Event Infomation See Event Website Page)
There Are No Current Japanese Events
Click to Submit Japanese Events.