- Saturday, 10 August, 2024 2024 JANM Annual Natsumatsuri Family Festival Event Summer Celebration (Performers, Hula, Tea Ceremony, Taiko, Crafts, Origami..) Nisei Week Event
- Sunday, 14 July, 2024 2024 Nisei Week Opening Ceremony (Celebrate Festival's Start, Previewed Nisei Week's Ondo Dances, Year's Honorees & Queen Candidates (Invitation Only)
- Thursday, 21 March, 2024 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm
- Thursday, 18 April, 2024 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm
- Thursday, 16 May, 2024 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm
- Thursday, 20 June, 2024 FREE Day Thursday! Japanese American National Museum (Free All Day Every 3rd Thursday of the Month) Or Free Every Thursday from 5-8pm View All Events At Location
This Event Has Passed
Other Events At This LocationJapanese American National Museum (JANM), Los Angeles, Little Tokyo
- No Additional Dates.
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Visit Location Website
Glenn Kaino: Aki’s Market is inspired by Akira and Sachiye Shiraishi’s small neighborhood market (1957-1970) in East Los Angeles. Created by artist Glenn Akira Kaino (Akira’s grandson and namesake), the exhibition explores the transgenerational trauma from the World War II Japanese American incarceration experience through the stories of Kaino, his family, and the community. It is also an interrogation of the American practice of displacement-collapsing almost 100 years of cultural subjugation into a spiritual, exploratory space from which the building blocks of peace might be discovered.
The exhibition draws from the life of Kaino’s grandfather, Akira Shiraishi, a legendary high school football player who was unable to realize his dreams of attending Occidental College when he was incarcerated at the Heart Mountain concentration camp in Wyoming. Upon returning to East LA after the war, he and Sachiye dedicated their lives to building their market on the corner of Blanchard Street and Geraghty Avenue-a multicultural anchor that served the Japanese and Hispanic communities.
Kaino only knew his grandfather through family stories. To recreate the market, he pulled from his artistic toolkit and used his skill of unlocking past memories through layered conversations (as in his work with historical figures like Olympian, Tommie Smith). He used this methodology to draw out family memories and paint a full picture of the place they called “The Store.”
Through a virtual reality recreation of the store and an installation of a contemporary store with the same name, Glenn Kaino: Aki’s Market is an exhibition about collective memory where the archival bleeds into the imaginary and where the most advanced technology serves the most personal past.
June 30, 2023 - January 28, 2024
Japanese American National Museum, 100 North Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Disclaimer: Please double check all information provided on our platform with the official website for complete accuracy and up-to-date details.
Monday, 18 December, 2023
See All Dates For This Event
Event & Festival ContactGlenn Kaino: Aki's Market
Event Organizer Website
Visit Organizer Website
Get More Details From the Event Organizer
Event Location Website
Visit Location Website
For More Location Details
Share Event & Festivals
Event Information Can ChangeAlways verify event information for possible changes or mistakes.
Contact Us for Errors
Add Event To Your CalendariCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Authentic Japanese Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Gardens
Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens (United States)
Best Japanese Rock 'Zen' Gardens
Japanese Teahouses (United States)
Best Japanese Teahouses